University, Polytechnic & ITE Graduates Starting Salary
- Monthly Gross Wage refers to the sum of the basic wage, overtime payments, commissions, allowances, and other regular cash payments before deduction of employee CPF contributions and personal income tax. However, it excludes employer CPF contributions, bonuses, stock options, other lump sum payments and payments-in-kind.
- Median (50th percentile) refers to the wage level at the middle of the income distribution which divides the bottom half of wage earners from the upper half.
- Chart data [Google Sheet]
Source: Manpower Research and Statistical Department, Ministry of Manpower Report on Wages 2011 Table 9, Polytechnic Graduate Employment Survey 2012. 2012 data not available yet for Universities and ITE.
- Nominal increase in starting pay is lagging behind inflation.
- The starting pay of ITE graduates has been stagnating over the period 2008 - 2011.
- The starting pay of Poly graduates has been stagnating over the period 2007 - 2010, with a recent uptick.
- Downward trend in employment rate despite higher starting pay - perhaps graduates feel the pressure to pursue further studies in favour of better long term career prospects.